Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 19

A picture of your biggest insecurity.


Well...hmmm.  

I guess my biggest insecurity is my eyes.  I have always had eye 'issues', starting when I was born.  After a difficult birth, my eyes were not in such great shape.  In fact, one was so filled with blood, the doctor wanted to remove it.  Thankfully, my parents opted not; a fact that I'm grateful for today, that's for sure!

I wore glasses from the age of three.  My parents took pity on me when I was in the eighth grade and blessed me with (green tinted) hard contact lenses.  Man, that was awesome!

When I got pregnant, I was not able to wear my contact lenses anymore due to changes in the eyes that occur when a woman is expecting.  Unfortunately, after having our three beautiful children (none of which need glasses at the moment, thankfully), I was not able to wear the contacts anymore.  So, it was back to glasses...

2004

I bought the most invisible, lightweight frames and lenses available.  Spendy, they were!  Then, after a few years, my beloved husband put money aside for me to get Lasik surgery.

In one day I went from absolute dependence on glasses to not needing anything in order to see clearly.  Well, fairly clear, anyway.  After my initial procedure, I had to wait a bit, then go in for a 'touch up' on one of my eyes.

Currently, I don't have 20/20 vision, but it's pretty close...close enough.  I still have some issues where I am not able to see clearly due to floaters, dry eye and just plain ole getting old and needing reading glasses (Lasik doesn't fix that problem, unfortunately).  I got some distance glasses a couple of years ago to aid in driving, especially when everything is grey (which happens a lot here in the PNW) and for night driving.

So, that's my insecurity - my eyesight.  Sometimes I can't see as well as others and miss details - man, I hate that.  Or I can't see a street sign and miss an important turn.

But, there is an upside to having one of your senses diminished - your other senses are heightened.  My hearing is stellar, and for that, I'm grateful!

my view is always in soft focus...
which makes everyone look great!

3 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

You have beautiful eyes, my friend! :o)

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Got this great comment from a dear friend - I wanted to share it here:

"I used to be insecure a lot but I realize now that I allowed myself to be so. It began when I was constantly compared to my sisters (having my shortcomings always pointed out) to eventually measuring myself against people I admired or "idolized". Needless to say I had to realize that I could never measure up to impossible expectations. I had to learn I am just as I was meant to be."

Thank you for sharing this - great wisdom. :-)

Mama Cache said...

Thanks for the soft focus, my friend.

I love you, and I'm thankful for photography -- it's not often I get to see those eyes in person, you know.

© 2010-2013 Hendel D'bu. All rights reserved.
Blog content and images are copyrighted; all other content is copyrighted by their respective sources. Permission to duplicate may be requested of author or sources cited.