Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 13

A picture of something you love.

Anyone who knows me for any length of time would definitely say that I love, love, love the beach.  And, not that "hot climate" white sand beach where folks lay out in beach chairs type of beach...no.  It has to be Pacific Northwest type beach with beautiful, complex grey sand and wild crashing waves bringing in the latest storm debris.  As the wind messes with your hair in an ornery way, seagulls sail overhead and sandpipers chase the waves at the water's edge.  I could lose all time walking the beach, combing for tiny pocket treasures of small, smooth, black rocks and sand dollars.


My Maker meets me at the beach and whispers to me in the wind.  I always want to throw my arms wide and run into the wind, joyfully laughing and spinning as a child.  I talk to the birds and marvel at the colors that are so much more alive at the beach.  Every facet of the human heart is right out in the open the second my feet hit the sand...dangerous and wild, mysterious foggy shadows, deep longing and the thrill of living combine in a cacophony of senses and intuition.

In the summer, I love to sit in the dry sand, next to the dunes, and feel the warmth of the sand on my bare feet.  I run my fingers through the soft and gritty sand, trying to see how many colors I can see in the grains that are caught in my palm.  In the winter, the wind is bracing and the rain comes at you in sideways sheets.  Memories always meet me at the beach; beach walks with my Mom and Grandma, watching my Dad fish in the surf, crabbing off the dock oh-so-long ago.  My brother and I climbing, dancing really, over driftwood logs piled and stacked up along the dunes...whipping "sea onions" while meandering the foam water line...


It's too heady to put into words...
and even photos cannot capture all that the beach encompasses for me.

It is in my blood, I'm sure.
You could call it love, but I suspect it's so much more.

2 comments:

Mama Cache said...

Why did you stop writing? I could have read this all day long.

My friend, the photos are beautiful.

This post is so you!

Ari C'rona said...

I'm right there on the beach with you, my dear friend! Your words draw me into your experience in a way that I cannot describe. So, when are we going next?

© 2010-2013 Hendel D'bu. All rights reserved.
Blog content and images are copyrighted; all other content is copyrighted by their respective sources. Permission to duplicate may be requested of author or sources cited.