Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 42

A picture of a souvenir...

My favorite type of souvenir is the inexpensive ones, free being the best.  Not because I'm cheap, mind you, but because those seem to have the most meaning for me.  Here's a few of my faves; they grace my desk and I visit them often...


These itty-bitty rocks were collected on the California Coast on our last road trip.  Upon arriving to explore the Battery Point Lighthouse, we had to walk through a beachy-dune area to reach the attraction.  As we walked through, I marveled at the varying rocks that were pretending to be sand.  On the return trip, I quickly filled a makeshift container with these fabulous rocks.  Then it was a hunt for the perfect container.  I knew I wanted to have them on my desk as a type of 'zen' thing...who can't get lost in rocks like this?  They are all so different and tiny!  Anyway, we found the perfect home for my free souvenir at Cape Foulweather. There is a sweet little gift shop there which featured myrtle wood bowls, boxes and other assorted temptations.  We chose this shallow bowl and I just love it.


Here's another of my favorite things to collect...well, it's the same as the first one, except they are a little bigger.  Not by much, though.  Small, flat, smooth rocks that just beg to jump into my pocket.  Pocket treasures from the beach - my favorite!  The best are the small, smooth black ones that resemble watermelon seeds.  Many times I have put on a jacket and found these little rocks left from a recent walk on the beach.


More pocket treasures.  These chinese hats always remind me of walking on the beach with my Grandma and my Mom - sweet memories.  Mom was awesome at finding the twirly shells while Grandma regaled us with stories; she was the consummate story teller.  I absolutely love souvenirs that take you immediately back to a specific time and place, so much so that you can almost smell and taste it.


The above is  tiny rock stack of antiquity.  Brought home from my beloved Land, these are inchy shards of pottery found as we toured various tels of long ago.  The top stone is actually a remnant of a mosaic long-forgotten.  I am privileged to own such a treasure, I know.

Souvenirs are tangible treasures of sweet memories.
A way to travel once again without leaving home.

No comments:

© 2010-2013 Hendel D'bu. All rights reserved.
Blog content and images are copyrighted; all other content is copyrighted by their respective sources. Permission to duplicate may be requested of author or sources cited.