Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Question No. 16


As someone who easily slips to melancholy, this is a good, albeit difficult, question to answer. I'll just ramble and see where it leads...

Fresh air makes me happy. Just breathing in fresh air, especially around water (negative ions, y'know) makes things better...sometimes. Simply breathing in makes me think of the One who gave me breath and the ability to breathe at all. Not only did He give me breath at one point in time, he sustains me through each and every breath I take. And when I think of that, it shifts my perspective enough to be able to continue.

Going to the beach makes me happy. Putting my feet on the sand, watching the sea birds flit and flirt with the incoming waves, or watching the gulls ride the currents of the wind makes me smile and appreciate something outside of myself. Listening to the crashing waves, the wind in the sea grass and the far off sound of a buoy bell cleanses my mind of the cacophony of clattering noise that fills my days. It slows me down, it refreshes my mind, and somehow it heals my soul. Walking with no purpose other than to observe and breathe causes my spirit to commune with the Spirit who watches me, waits for me, walks with me, and whispers direction. The One who gives me purpose and ordains my days knows the path I'm on and where I'm going.

That makes this weary traveler satisfied, if not always happy.

Some other things that kick me out of a funk would be singing, meditating, enjoying a good glass of wine and worthwhile conversation, or listening to introspective or inspired music. The effort of creating can be therapeutic, as well - crafting, quilting or sketching expresses what words cannot. And speaking of words, writing probably has been the thing I do the most to find a happier state of mind, and with it a sense of accomplishment, artistic endeavor, literary skill...using all my brain cells at once is beneficial. It is true that writing is one of my favorite ways to share the human experience with others, especially those who might be drudging through a similar scenario.

So, that's the bottom line of it: the answer to the question is connection. Feeling connected to my G-d and to those around me who are real. Communicating and connecting...always and continuing. And that makes me as happy as I can ever expect to be.

2 comments:

Mama Cache said...

So much more than a ramble. *smile* I like where it took you!

I am not so sure I even have an answer for that question. I have more non-answers than answers . . . I suppose I could use a process of elimination and see what was left, yes?

You are pretty darn good at cheering this soul!

Ari C'rona said...

Connection... yes, that's so crucial. It makes all the difference.

Hey, let's go to the beach soon!

© 2010-2013 Hendel D'bu. All rights reserved.
Blog content and images are copyrighted; all other content is copyrighted by their respective sources. Permission to duplicate may be requested of author or sources cited.